This is not my list. While these are policies and suggestions I use all the time, brevity is not one of my skills; this is an excellent little summary which turned up in one of the updates I get in my inbox from the wise and wonderful Nina Grunfeld of Life Clubs, and I thought it was well worth passing on.
- Find a timer and set it for 5 minutes of decluttering only. You’ve always got the option of ignoring it when it goes.
- Get help. Other people can be ruthless with your things.
- Don’t beat yourself up that you never went to that play or cooked that recipe. You did something else instead.
- Trust your intuition – you’ll know if you want to keep something. Any wavering, bin it.
- If you’re only keeping something to be tactful, get rid of it.